Friday, June 24, 2011

Update on Elder Waller

Elder Waller (aka Matt, The Guy in the Cool Hat who is now The Guy with the Most Awesomely Expedient Nametag...) has asked that I revive, update, enliven and otherwise resuscitate his blog with news.  So...

Here's the latest from the Guy with the Never-ending Tie Collection.  To preserve his contacts' privacy I will shorten or change names...  Currently he is serving in Twin Falls, ID in a three-some instead of the usual companionship.  They teach a lot of refugees from Burma and other Southeast Asian countries there, and need to have a translator.


**********

Hey Everyone,
First of all, the search on Mormon.org won't pull it up directly, but my profile has been published!  This is the URL:
 
I had lunch with C.S. yesterday. Do you remember Elder S.? He served in Lancaster with Elder J. and they both helped me with my Eagle project. Elder S. actually got "Dear John-ed" the day before helping with the project. Poor guy. But he lives in -----, and I got a hold of him and he came down to catch up and introduce me to his soon-to-be-official fiance!!! WHAT?? They were coming down to Twin to go ring-shopping. Poor kid. He's in big trouble. Haha. He's been home for about a year and three months now. It was a little weird to see him with civilian clothes, a baseball cap, and a beard. And a girl. That was quite weird. Elder S. is getting married. Kind of a trunky thought, haha. It didn't help that a few days ago we swung by the stake center to grab something only to find that there was a wedding reception going on and bridesmaids were everywhere. Odd. Bizarre. Haha.
This past week has gone pretty well, especially on the Burmese side. We're finally getting lessons coordinated, though it's still hard to set up solid appointments with the language barrier. We can't expect our translators to be free all the time either, so there's a lot of schedules to match up. Still we had three really solid lessons with several groups of Burmese. Two of the newer Karen refugees have already said that they really want to get baptized, and two of the Chin refugees are getting extremely close as well. It's pretty exciting.
We're really trying to boost our finding efforts in all the wards. We're setting up meetings with all the bishops to talk about the individual wards, and I've been trying to get all of their email addresses so I can send them the progress records every week. So far the efforts on that front are moving forward gradually. But they've expressed a lot of appreciation for being more included, so I think that things are going to get a big boost once we can work out schedules.
We're going to go see Shoshone Falls today. They're called the Niagra Falls of the West. And from what we've been told they're bigger right now than they've been in many many years with all the rain we've had. Don't worry, Mom. I'll get pictures. I'll try to send them next week. :)
 
(When I receive said pictures I will endeavor to post them) --KR
What's going on in the world? What the status on the situation in Japan? Iraq? Have they announced any cool new movies? Cool songs? Have any of you happened across any Jazz piano sheet music? If so, I'd love a copy. I'd really like to learn to play Jazz.
I love you guys. I hope you're all doing well. I hope you always know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Sincerely,
Elder Matt Waller
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment